Tuesday 19 October 2010

Interview with Mel Merio





Your new album Lovemore is out now. What should we expect? 

Good electro-pop! All songs were produced by my longtime friends Christopher Just and Larry Tee. People who know me very well, so it is also a piece of me you'll get! 

Lovemore, an allusion to the harder times we live in? 

Of course, it's all about love! Only love can strengthen each of your own qualities. I do not understand why you should always respond to hate with hate and war with war. I myself have a very positive attitude, and believe that if you respond with love to the negatives, the world can change for the better. I don't wanna close my eyes, but give as much love as possible. But the most important thing is: learn to love yourself! 

You have lived 3 years in New York City, how did it come to it? 

My good friend and producer Larry Tee invited Christopher Just and me to make an album with him there. Of course we immediately said yes. At first it was a lot of fun and adventure but it was soon reality and hard work. It was an incredibly great and important experience though and I have never regretted the move from Vienna to New York City. 

Not many have the opportunity to live in NYC. So directly comparing, what are the pros and cons of living in New York and Vienna? 

The advantage of a life in Vienna is of course the quality of life. I mean the quality of air, water, the cleanliness of the streets and that you can get everywhere relatively fast. A disadvantage is of course the widespread bad mood of the inhabitants. But under the surface there is often a surprise! The advantage of NYC is the openness and friendliness of the residents. There is also a great mix of the cultures. NYC has a positive attitude to life and you get the feeling that "everything is possible". A disadvantage is all the dirt in the city and the widespread superficiality in people. 

Has New York changed you? 

Absolutely! Surprisingly, I've become much calmer. Of course it was a stressful time in my career, with the album that we have produced and the many appearances in Clubs. So I've spent more free time to relax and to listen more to me and whats really important in life. But NYC has given me an incredible amount of energy! 

Not only since your appearances at the Vienna Life Ball for the Austrian AIDS relief, you have many loyal, gay fans. What do you think the gay community appreciates so much about you? 

I can not answer what the gay community likes so much about me. But I have always had a great affinity for gays. My first poster was from the pet shop boys, the first boy I fell in love was gay, even today, most of my friends are gay. I simply love and appreciate them. Perhaps they appreciate the many male energy I have in my performances on stage. Or perhaps my outfits, I hear often compliments about my style from them. In any case I'm glad for the unconditional love they give me and I am grateful for each and everyone! 

You are also famous for your, sometimes, unusual and extravagant style. What criteria do you have, when you are looking for clothes? Do you have a favourite designer or some style idols? What's the philosophy behind your style? 

In clothing it's all about authenticity for me! The style must fit you, that's why I have no style idols at all. And there is also no favourite designer, allthough there are so many great ones. But I always prefered vintage fashion. My mother also has a vintage shop. So it is almost like a ritual that I go for a visit to her with an empty suitcase and come with a full one back home. I try to spend not very much money for clothes. I prefer to invest it in travel and dinner with friends, etc. So my philosophy about fashion is: Always be true to yourself and don't try being someone else, then you do everything right! 

When you are in Vienna, where do you love to spend your evenings most? 

It may surprise many, but I'm really not that party-person anymore. I am so often in clubs when I have gigs, so I love to relax! Preferably with yoga or medidation and I love it so much to walk through Vienna with my best friend's dogs. But what I do like to do on evenings is having dinner with good friends. But never more than 6 people, so you can really pay attention to everyone! My absulute favorite restaurant in this regard is the Restraurant Bankok in the Neustiftgasse. 

What music do you love to hear, apart from your own? 

Music is very important to me and of course I appreciate not only mine and what friends produce. It depends very much on the mood, but my all times favourites are definitely the Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, and Management. 

After your new album Lovemore, what are the next plans in your career? 

I just moved to London. Together with Christopher Just I have founded the record label Lovemore Records there. And I'm already working on my new album. It will be a mantra album. For this, we take 5000 years old Hindu prayer songs and mix them with 80s/90s synthy pop. I think it will be very exciting. 

Your message to the world? 

love more!



Check out: http://www.melmerio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment