Thursday 16 December 2010

Interview with Sophie Yang Berlin



I'd take the opportunity to met the Berlin self-made designer Sophie Yang and chatted about her fashion, her new shop in Berlin Mitte and the plan to sell her fashion in Vienna soon.


Sophie, how did it happen that you became a fashion designer?

 
I was a pianist and came to Berlin to study music. When I moved to Mitte I found something was missing and the fashion was very similar in my opinion.
I like good quality, simple and old fashioned styles and I couldn´t find it here. So I decided to do something different. So when I visited my homecountry China I brought some sketches to my mothers tailor and visited the fabric markets in the Suzhou (the oldest and most famous Silk city in China) and Shanghai area and started my own label.

What you value most in the production of your clothes?

  
Details like hand finishings, and fine materials.
 

Where do you get all your inspiration?

Classic movies or tv shows like Boardwalk Empire and of course classical music. I also like to sit in those nice little european corner cafes and imagine which clothes would fit into this picture.

What is the philosophy or massage behind your clothing?

 
It's all about simple and good quality. It´s always personal and not mass produced with appreciation for nice materials.


Now you have decided to do also men-fashion. Are male customers easier to satisfy than female?


Actually yes! From my experience so far men really like cashmere and fine materials and they often buy on impulse. But above all, I am pleased that the men's collection also enjoys great popularity.


Recently you have opened your first showroom in Berlin, what will we expect?

Yes and I am very proud about it! I had pop up shops before during fashionweek but it was time for a constant one. Its located in the Joachimstrasse 17a in 10119 Berlin Mitte.
And my showroom is not just a shop, it's more like a studio. So seometimes the people can also watch me during my design work.

What are your plans for the future?

I would really like to sell my clothes in Vienna, Austria. You know I was a pianist, so Vienna was always my dream bubble. I also like the, sometimes, austrian classical, retro, look and I hope the people in Vienna will like my designes.
Right now, I am looking for cooperating shops there and hopefully the Vienna Fashionweek 2011. Of course China is also a market I would like to target. It is so dynamic and people are really curious about fashion and new stuff. So let's hope the best.







check it out: http://www.sophieyangberlin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment