Wednesday 22 December 2010

Interview with: Nino aus Wien



23 years old Nino aus Wien (the Nino from Vienna) alias Nino Mandl, is a talented "indie-folk" singer from Vienna. With 15 he was in a gang, sniffing glue all day and stealing bicycles at night. But then he started to make music. In december 2008 he released his debut album "The Ocelot Show" with Problembär Records. In Frebruary 2009 he made the fifth place at the fm4 Protest Song Contest. Just six months after the praise heaped on debut "The Ocelot Show" Nino published in June 2009, his second album "Down in Albern" (down in silly), which he has handled with his usual charm and humor. The single, "Holidays" made it in the Austrian charts. With "Du Oasch" (you ashole) he coupled out a second single and video and had one of the biggest indie hits of 2009. Followed by "Down in Albern" in 2010.Nino collaborated in early 2010 with Urbs and Skero of Austria's Hip-Hop scene, and the second part of" Du Oasch ", "Immer no Oasch" (still ashole) arises and is published in March 2010. This year he was also nominated for the Amadeus Music Award as best alternative. At the moment he is working on his new album which appears in 2011.




 

Where do you get all the motivation to make music?:
 
Motivation? Everywhere! I probably have much to say, so I write songs about everything what is going on in my mind.


Many of your pieces are melancholy and slow. Like your own emotions?:
 

I never wanted to make party music. Maybe there are also influences when you hear yourself more sorrowful music. I'm not necessarily a very sad person, I'm almost an optimist.There are even songs wich are quite happy like "Holidays", and the funny thing is,  I was very sad when I wrote it.

Is making music work for you, like a fulltime job?:


 Of course. You have to consider and to write. But most of the time consists of waiting. You have to wait a lot. So maybe like a part time job mixed with a fulltime determination.


Will you also sing in
English, for the international market?:


Well my German is much better then my English. In "Holidays" and "Du Oasch" I have English words like "holidays" or "bitch", since I am a little bit more hip-hop-like. But I also have some entirley English songs, only no one knows because they published only a small part of the whole. Until now...



Do you want to be played on mainstream radiostations like Ö3?

I would not mind, but I believe that my published things are not so suitable and fit more on FM4. Perhaps at some point what fits, but I do not put on it. Skero is now on Ö3 and Bunny Lake as well. That happens.

Would you describe yourself as indie or mainstream?:


 I have read that in Vienna too much "indie" is going on. And that "indie" is the new pop for Austrians. Maybe its just that more indie-songs are played on mainstream radiostations. These typical Ö3 things are quite short-lived. This is not so satisfactory in the long run. Perhaps a change comes along, and we are the new superstars in Austria.


What does your family say about your music?:
 
I think they like it. Probably because it's heard in the radio.


So youre grandmother has to listen indie FM4 now?:

 
No, but there's a funny story. I gave my grandmother my CD "Down in Albern". A couple of songs are very strange. Even the first song, there is such a noise. And my grandmother thought her CD player was broken, and has thrown it away.

 

Especially since your Amadeus Music Award nominations you are well known. How does the success feel and are you getting recognized on the street?:

Great and strange, but recognized on the street? Absolutely not! 



When can we expect a new album from you?:

  
We will publish something this week, but no album. I think the album will come in spring 2011.



check it out: http://www.myspace.com/ninoshouseband
 



No comments:

Post a Comment